Determination: We all have it

March 31, 2012

in Adoption, Daily Life

This is a picture of Mattix when I dropped him off at school earlier in the week.

Weeks ago, his teachers had told us he was determined to make it across the monkey bars. He did. And he wanted to show me.

I was so proud. I had tears in my eyes on the school playground. My not-so-baby baby, swinging across all of those bars, concentrating fiercely, pushing himself.

He’s like that — determined.

When he sets his mind to something, he doesn’t quit until he achieves it. He and I don’t share blood, but we share a lot of characteristics. Only his are  pretty hardcore for a 5-year-old.

He has wanted to swing from the monkey bars for a long time. I can recall taking him to the park at 3 years old. I’d lift him up. He’d hang for just a second. Then he’d yell for me to grab him before he fell.

One of the many “deficits” Mattix had as a result of being in an orphanage was poor grip strength. Poor is an understatement. When Molley was just 15 months or so, she could hang and support her body weight. Mattix, 18 months older than her, couldn’t hold on at all.

We worked on those things organically and with physical therapy (and occupational therapy for other issues). But those monkey bars… they were tough.

And then one day at school, he decided he was doing it. By the end of the week, my little man – who previously couldn’t get from even the first to the second – could make his way across all 10 bars, just like that.

I’m so proud of him. In the past 6 weeks, we celebrated his four year referral anniversary. We celebrated his 5th birthday. We struggled in some areas, excelled in others. I’ve wanted to start writing here again often, yet I can’t seem to do it. But not for good reason. It just takes a tiny bit of determination to open up the page and begin writing. And it certainly takes a lot less than it took Mattix to cross those monkey bars. If he can do it, so can I.

michelle March 31, 2012 at 10:57 am

Way to go, big boy!

Geneva March 31, 2012 at 11:50 am

Good job Mattix! Marli was so similar, she used her feet for everything. She would wrap her feet around a bottle and drink it. Then when we introduced utensils, same thing, she wanted to use her feet. Well,we got through it and she learned. Now she using this “gift” as entertainment at times!!! Our kiddos from KG have come a long way. I look at Marli. and Mattix. and Denises. daughter Tianh, and while they are the same children, they are not in so many ways, and we all worked so hard to get where we are today….all of us, parents, kids, grandparents, etc. Life is Good !

Jen March 31, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I’ve missed your posts.
Way to go Mattix! Morgan has poor grip strength and slower motor skills–it’s daunting at times–but he’s progressing. Our babies overcome so much it is awe inspiring. xoxo

Jenn March 31, 2012 at 10:15 pm

You had me choked up by the second sentence. Love this.

Terry April 1, 2012 at 8:34 am

You are BACK!!! When doors shut, greater things open and this is so you. I love reading about you and your family. Thank you for the privilege of being allowed to do so! I love you and being your mom. Your determination was and is still intact and you are correct, you and Mattix share many common traits and you were both meant to be in each others lives for a very special reason. Just like Molley. And I am blessed to benefit from all of it, every little bit. (So glad I was able to see him on those monkey bars before I left)!

Ronnie April 1, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Welcome back (even if it’s just for today)!

Doris April 2, 2012 at 6:36 am

Great job, Mattix! What a great characteristic to have.

Nicki April 2, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Go Mattix! That is no easy feat!!!

Ellie {Musing Momma} April 17, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I’m just visiting your blog for the first time, so I don’t “know” Mattix…but your post has me wanting to yell “Woohoo! Way to go, Mattix!”